Monday, May 17, 2010

Family time and NYSSMA time!


I did another 6 miles yesterday and am down to a 1:08 for close to a 10K.  Only 6 minutes to shave off between now and the end of the year, haha!  I ran at Rockland Lake yesterday to prepare for this weekend's 10K which is a little different than my recent route.  It was much sunnier that my usual shady riverside run, but there was a nice breeze.  I love this time of year!

Yesterday afternoon was Mother's Day with the fam.  My parents were away for the actual holiday so we postponed it a week.  My parents, both sisters and their guys were there for snacks and dinner, and Officer BF got to stop in for a quick dinner while working.  It's rare that he's posted where I happen to be so it was an extra treat.  (I fall for him all over again every time I get to see him in uniform!)  Anyway, we made it a point to have diet-savvy food for our meal.  Katie brought veggies, reduced fat potato chips, pita chips, hummus and onion dip for snacks.  My dad made these amazing tuna-avocado rolls.  They were kind of like lobster rolls but with seared tuna, avocado and a lime vinaigrette.  Yum!  Erin made a great tabouleh salad and sauteed green beans.  I contributed a fruit salad for dessert which is something I love but never bother to make for myself.  It was an awesome dinner and best of all, it was guilt free!

For those of you who teach music in NY or went through a music program in the NY public schools, it's NYSSMA week at my school!  This means a lot of stressed out (high strung/dramatic/anxious) young musicians are running around looking for extra help and time.  Our entire department works through lunches, stays after or comes in early almost every day to make sure the kids feel ready for this weekend's solo experience.  It's Monday afternoon and I'm already beat.  I saw 4 kids for solo work today with many more to come.  I have 2-3 lessons scheduled with my private student who is singing at NYSSMA this weekend, on top of regular private lessons. Great for the wallet, not so great for the work-out schedule. 

This will be one of those weeks where I'll be squeezing in activity wherever I can.  This morning, 15 minutes of marching in band to prepare for our Memorial Day parade next weekend.  I should mention I was marching in 4 inch heels which has to count for something!!  I'll have to work extra hard too keep my eating under control this week.  Stress and being busy usually aren't good for my food plans.  I tried to pick up stuff this weekend to keep in the house so I'm not tempted by quick junk food.  Apples, oranges, string cheese and Clif bars will be my go to snacks!

Officer BF has me hooked on Clif Bars. They're my new favorite snack. It's like a treat, but there's enough protein in them to keep me full for a few hours. And, once I start trying all the flavors, I'll have variety built in too. I was gifted a box of 24 bars, 3 different flavors, so I'll eat most of those before I buy more. I really like the chocolate chip peanut crunch flavor. I'll keep you posted on what else I try that I like!

No comments:

Post a Comment